Heirs On Fire
Jon Pepper Books / Book Club Discussion Guide
In answering the questions below, discuss why you’ve come to your conclusion.
How would you describe Lindsey’s evolution?
- Where is she when the book opens?
- How different is she at the end?
- Do you know anyone who has gone through such a transition out of necessity?
What did you think about Robbie’s treatment of Charles, the flight attendant?
- Did he deserve Robbie’s wrath?
- Is that level of abuse ever okay? Should people in positions of power, and stress, be excused for “letting go”?
- Why did Lindsey see Charles differently?
- Why did she try to help him?
How would you characterize Dr. Kristi Kramer?
- What drives her?
- What tools does she use to manipulate Robbie into getting what she wants?
- Does she believe what she tells the Crowe Power management team? What she tells Robbie?
- Why did Robbie go to see her in North Carolina?
What are your impressions of Missy and Chase (the children of Lindsey and Robbie)?
- Are they following in Robbie’s footsteps or Lindsey’s?
- Why does Missy seem so angry with her mother?
- Is Missy right to scorn the source of her family’s wealth?
- Does Chase deserve his sense of entitlement?
- What are the odds he’ll succeed at the business he tells Lindsey about?
Describe Digby’s character arc.
- What is the line he has to walk in dealing with Robbie?
- What ultimately puts him over the edge?
- Did he do the right thing at the end?
- Should Lindsey keep him on?
What is the bond between Lindsey and Bits?
- Why is Bits sympathetic to her sister-in-law?
- Why does Bits push Lindsey to have a drink with her? Was that fair?
- Where does Bits come out in the end? Why?
How could Lindsey meet Maria after what she had done?
- Did this suggest Lindsey was over Robbie?
- Did she blame Robbie more than Maria for their dalliance?
- Was there a bigger issue at stake, now that Lindsey was looking forward?
Discuss the family meeting.
- How did Lindsey prepare for that meeting?
- How did that differ from the way Robbie prepared for busines meetings?
- What were the biggest issues on peoples’ minds?
- What turned their opinions?
Did Fred deserve to get the boot from Staminum?
- Why didn’t Walker give him more of a chance?
- Was Fred mistaken in approaching Walker?
- Was Fred honest in his negotiations with Crowe Power?
Why did Steady allow his family to profit from secret deals regarding new technologies?
- The ends justified the means?
- It was the only way to keep his family together?
- It was his way to hold on to power?
Robbie selected Tim as his CEO and then brought in Fred.
- What was it about them that Robbie was drawn to?
Why do wealthy families turn against the source of their wealth?